Friday, March 09, 2007

Crazy Ice Sculptures

A few weeks back, Scott, Wes and I went to investigate a park in the middle of downtown Anchorage that was rumored to be the site of a huge ice carving competition. I guess all of that must have been true because we found all these incredible carvings of sea life and various other cool things.







For some reason, when an artist begins to carve into ice there is an incredibly strong call to form this ice into a sea creature like this sea horse. Almost every scultpure was either a shark, dolphin or other funny little ocean dweller.


The blocks for the carving were 3x4x6 ft. pieces of ice from a pond outside Fairbanks. It doesn't take that artists very long to turn a huge hunk into a beautiful form like this swordfish. Notice the continued infatuation with sea life.


This is Scott and I looking like a couple of eskimos or something. I tried to fog up the area in front of my face, but failed and so I just look funny.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home